- Public Health & Human Services
- Public Health
- Tobacco Prevention & Cannabis Prevention for Youth
- Tobacco Prevention & Cessation
Tobacco Prevention & Cessation
Engrossed House Bill 1074 went into effect January 1, 2020, it is now illegal to sell tobacco and vapor products to anyone under 21.
Why did Washington pursue this change?
- Raising the age of sale for tobacco and vapor products to 21 will reduce the number of youth who develop a lifelong addiction to nicotine. Including Washington State, tobacco and vapor 21 is currently the law – or is due to go into effect – in 18 states as well as D.C. and Guam.
- Washington state is experiencing a vaping epidemic among youth. In 2018, about one in five 10th graders and one in three 12th graders reported using vapor products (Healthy Youth Survey).
- Adolescent years are times of important brain development. Nicotine exposure during adolescence and young adulthood can cause addiction and harm the developing brain. E-Cigs and Young Adults - Know the Risks
- You might be surprised at what’s in your vape?
Ready to quit? Want help?
Free resources are available to help any Washington resident quit smoking or vaping:
Call the Washington State Tobacco Quitline at 1-800-QUIT-NOW or Access a smartphone app at www.doh.wa.gov/quit.
5 Ways Quitlines Help YOU Succeed. Quitlines provide free coaching—over the phone—to help you quit smoking.
You can get free, confidential, one-on-one counseling from a Quit Coach, and may be eligible for free medication to help you quit smoking, vaping, or other tobacco.
- Calling 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669);
- Visiting quitline.com; or
- Texting READY to 200-400.
Not ready just yet? Click here to learn more about the Quitline and other counseling options.
2Morrow Health Smartphone App
2Morrow Health is a free, anonymous, self-guided app-based program that teaches you how to deal with unhelpful thoughts, urges, and cravings caused by nicotine. You can create a profile, select a quit date, and track your progress in quitting vaping, smoking, or other tobacco use.
This is Quitting
This is Quitting is a new text-to-quit vaping program for young people ages 13-24.
Text VAPEFREEWA to 88709 to sign up.